Shri Samit Ray
Shri Samit Ray is the Chancellor of the Adamas University. He started his career as a software professional in the '80s. Early on in his career he realized that the number of candidates from West Bengal qualifying for various competitive examinations was gradually decreasing. In his attempt to improve the situation, he started Roy's Institute of Competitive Examinations Private Limited (RICE) in 1985, to provide preparatory training for qualifying examinations for different State and Central Government services. What had started in a single room in Kolkata is now spread across West Bengal and has, since its inception, helped create approximately 80,000 successful professionals in the arena of government services.
After establishing RICE, Shri Ray worked towards making computer education accessible to the masses so that they could reap the benefits created by the boom in the IT industry. So, in 1992, he partnered with CMC (Computer Maintenance Corporation), a Government of India Enterprise at that time, to provide Software, Hardware and Networking courses. This centre was adjudged as the best in the whole of Eastern India in 2000.
Shri Ray did not stop at this. He started his own venture, RICE Infotech Education, in 2001, to provide training in the fields of IT, ITES, Multimedia, Hardware and Networking. This division was affiliated to the West Bengal State Council for Technical Education for a few of its courses.
Shri Ray also worked towards the development of the district of North 24 Parganas, which lacked quality schools. In 2004, he established the Adamas International School, the one-of-its-kind in the area. It is a day boarding school providing education up to the XIIth Standard and is affiliated to the Council for Indian School Certificate Examination. The school is also associated with The Cambridge, UK for its various programmes.
Further, with an intention to provide a solution to all educational needs under one roof, Shri Ray started the Adamas Knowledge City at Barasat. It is located over an area of about 100 acres and is responsible for setting up various educational institutions, including the Adamas University. Several facilities like a guest house, an amphitheatre, resorts, an open air auditorium and commercial centres will also be set up within the same premises in the near future. The flagship institutes of the Adamas Knowledge City are:
- Adamas Institute of Technology: A Degree Engineering College, established in the year 2008, approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi and affiliated to West Bengal University of Technology
- Adamas World School: A C.B.S.E school that has been granted Middle School affiliation and was established in the year 2011
- Adamas Institute of Teacher Education: A B.Ed college, established in 2012, approved by the National Council for Teacher Education and affiliated to the West Bengal State University
- Adamas Higher Secondary Model School: A 10+2 school that was established in 2012 and which is affiliated to the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education
- Adamas University (vide Adamas University Act, 2014)
At present, Shri Ray is heading several groups of organizations directly employing around 1400 individuals and indirectly providing earning opportunities to more than 5000 people, dealing with Education, IT, Advertising, Real Estate and many others. He is also associated with many benevolent social and cultural activities.