Adamas University, the largest award winning University in Eastern India, is the perfect destination for aspiring students who wish to pursue excellence in their chosen field in a secured, nature friendly, vast campus which can truly be their second home. The School of Pharmaceutical Technology (SOPT) was established amidst a lush green campus at the Adamas Knowledge City on Barasat-Barrackpore road, about 13 km away from Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Airport, Kolkata. SOPT was set up with a vision to create and disseminate knowledge for producing quality health care professionals with a global standard.
Vision and Mission:
- Inspiring and educating the future pharmacists and scientists with contemporary knowledge and skills to build up a strong platform for a healthcare system, matching the global standards.
- Creating a potential student pool by provision of dynamic educational experience embedded with contemporary knowledge and technical skills thus empowering them to become future leaders.
- Development of tie-ups with the experts in the field, pharmaceutical technologists in the industry and regulatory bodies to meet the existing regional and global needs.
- Organization of conferences, workshops, seminars and special invited lectures with the participation of experts from academic institutions, research institutions, industries and regulatory authorities.
- Shaping the undergraduate, postgraduate and research scholars to emerge as the next generation scientists, advanced practitioners and educators.
- Investigation of innovative research in pharmaceutical sciences while embracing the value of interdisciplinary networks.
- Escalation of the performance level of students and teaching methodologies at par with the global standards.
- Promotion of professional skill development for students to enhance their employability potential.
- Bridging the gap between University’s educational curricula and the knowledge and skill requirements of pharmaceutical industries which is concurrent to the goal of the University.
- Outstanding and experienced faculty members from diverse areas of pharmaceutical field with industry as well as academic background.
- State-of-the-art laboratory infrastructure equipped with all the necessary instruments to acquire hands-on training experience.
- Mentorship program with an aim to monitor and improve the attendance and performance of students in the class, discussing the areas of strengths and weaknesses, consultation to address the weak areas.
- Mentor-student meets, Dean-mentor meets, Dean-student meets, Parent-mentor meets.
- Inclusion of wide variety of extra-curricular and cultural activities favouring holistic development of the child backed up psychological counselling/ one to one mentoring as and when needed to monitor the stress window of the student.
- Speculating industry and institute interaction.
- Strong research oriented team with large number of papers published in journals and conferences of repute.
- Focusing on academic growth of students and faculties by conducting conferences, workshops, seminars in collaboration with industry.
- Incorporation of a strong teaching-learning process with an objective to improve the pharmaceutical skills of students.
- Constitution of various committees including faculties and students to streamline the administration of the entire university which in consultation with the Dean, plan and execute various programs for the smooth functioning and general development of the institution.
- Nomination of student members by the respective mentors based on academic and overall record.
- Organization of frequent industrial visits and internships at some of the best pharmaceutical companies in India to emphasize on the application of knowledge from a practical perspective.
- 6 of our students have qualified Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) which is a national level entrance examination for entry into M. Pharm programmes. Additionally, two students have qualified NIPER Joint Entrance Examination conducted by National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) which is one of the most renowned and prestigious pharmacy institutions in the country.
- About 60 of our alumni have opted for higher education programs such as Bachelor of Pharmacy and Master of Pharmacy.
Training and Placement Cell:
- Arranges industrial training/ internships/tours for students. Students have completed internship from various reputed organizations like Alkem Laboratories, Zuventus Healthcare Ltd., Lupin Ltd., Mankind Pharma, Pure and Cure Healthcare Pvt. Ltd., Ipca Laboratories.
- Invites various pharmaceutical companies for campus recruitments. Students have been selected by top pharmaceutical recruiters like Cipla Limited, Wipro Limited, Apollo Hospitals, Medopharm Pvt. Ltd., APCER Life Sciences, Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Organizes programs like mock interviews, group discussions, case studies, etc. to make the students prepared for the industry.
Pharmacy is the science and technique of preparing and dispensing drugs. It is a health profession that links health sciences with chemical sciences and aims to ensure the safe and effective use of pharmaceutical agents. The role of pharmacist, nowadays, is not only restricted to mere traditional roles, such as compounding and dispensing medications but is much more than that. The advances made in pharmaceutical technology in past few decades has expanded the horizon to include more modern services related to health care such as clinical services, reviewing medications for safety and efficacy, providing drug information, employing modern techniques for manufacture of formulations, designing delivery systems, meeting quality assurance demands and its control. Today, the qualified pharmaceutical technologist skilled with modern techniques and knowledge is required to be engaged in the manufacture, distribution, marketing, quality control and assurance, regulatory authorities and in post marketing operations like pharmacovigilance, clinical trials, etc. A career in the pharmaceutical sciences is full of opportunities. There is a high demand for skilled, competent and motivated workforce and manpower which will continue to be at the pinnacle of importance, both in safe and effective delivery of healthcare as well as in fueling the growth of the pharmaceutical industry in India.
What is the Scope?
The need of skilled manpower in the pharmaceutical industry ranges widely from research and development, quality assurance, intellectual property, manufacturing, sales and marketing. Today, the pharmaceutical industry is, in fact, struggling to retain talent in all these areas, even with lucrative compensation packages, talent development programs alongwith offering a bright career path. This is mainly because the demand for talent outweighs its supply. With several health issues on the rise, the requirement for pharmaceuticals is a never ending process which mandates the continual demand of skilled professionals in this field. Pharmaceutical industry has the potential to attract a large number of talents even during any global financial meltdown, as the industry is virtually recession proof.
The programs offered by the school are Diploma in Pharmacy (D. Pharm), Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) and Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology (BSc MLT). The Diploma in Pharmacy is of two academic year duration, while Bachelor of Pharmacy is a four year course and Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology is a three year program. Additionally, Master of Pharmacy (M. Pharm) program in Pharmaceutics will also be implemented from the upcoming academic year.