The tragic Covid-19 outbreak has shaken the whole world with its superpower and life has come to a standstill. Nothing could have stopped the “superior to all the species on earth” like this before except this deadly virus. The death toll is increasing at an alarming rate, millions of people have been affected globally and new cases are emerging every day.
Undoubtedly, combating COVID-19 is the current biggest global crisis that humanity is encountering which is an annexation to the already existing global environmental crisis since decades including global warming, climate change, pollution, loss of biodiversity, land management and urban sprawl, deforestation to name a few. These problems became the major focus of scientists of various disciplines as these were discerned as the paramount threats to the life-supporting environment of the earth making our survival increasingly unsafe.
What is Environmental Science?
Environmental problems are highly complex and a holistic understanding of the dynamics of the problems became crucial which demanded an interdisciplinary effort. To fill in this gap, Environmental science evolved as a new academic discipline which is an interdisciplinary subject comprised of various branch of studies including chemistry, physics, geography, geology, life science, agriculture, public health and sanitary engineering, atmospheric science and social sciences. encompassing integrated approach of studying our environmental systems and finding the solutions to the problems. It is an integrated, quantitative and interdisciplinary approach to study the environmental systems and to understand causes, effects and solutions to the environmental problems.
Types of Environmental Science Degrees
Bachelors in Environmental Science: A Bachelor’s of Environmental Science is a three-year program offered at various universities worldwide. After completion of the degree the students may go for higher education or find entry-level positions in companies or research organizations.
Masters in Environmental Science: A Master’s Degree in Environmental Science can be obtained either by those who obtained a bachelor’s in the same subject or the bachelor degree holders of other science disciplines such as, chemistry, physics, life sciences. Post graduate are considered for higher level position in industries.
PhD/Doctorate in Environmental Science: If you are interested for research in the relevant field one can also obtain a PhD in Environmental Science after M.Sc. Ph.D. degree is now mandatory to get faculty position at college/university level.
We at Adamas University, Barasat, Kolkata are offering both BSc. And MSc. in Environmental Science from this current academic session August, 2020.
Multidisciplinary nature of the subject and the transferable skills that are developed create wide range of career opportunities. The applicability of the subject is revolved around three key areas- (i) resource management, (ii) Environmental protection and (iii) Environmental Sustainability
Popular Environmental science career options:
- Environmental Scientist: They are employed by management, scientific, technical consulting firms or government agencies where they help the organization to meet environmental compliances by adopting clean technologies, waste management and pollution prevention. They are involved in analyzing sample of soil, water, food to collect environmental data, assessing threats to environment and developing strategies to mitigate the problems through scientific analysis.
- Environmental Engineer: Environmental engineers with their problem-solving abilities and scientific skills provide technological solutions to protect, restore and preserve our planet. Typical responsibilities of an environmental engineer involve designing of processes to protect environment, collection of data from range of sources through site assessment, environmental monitoring and third party report, evaluate the environmental impact of construction project.
- Nature conservation officer: If you are passionate about environmental protection and dream to work in the conservation of nature directly, then this is where you should go after studying environmental science. Nature conservation officer are involved in preparation and implementation of management plans based on ecological survey and scientific observation for sustainable land use and resource management. They also take part to raise awareness of environmental issues and promote of concept of sustainability to all sectors of local community.
- Environmental consultant: Environmental consultants are hired by the governments, private sectors or NGOs for providing expert advisory and assessment services with the aim of minimizing or eliminating environmental damage.
- Environmental education Officer: If teaching is your passion and environment is your concern but you do not like to take a classic job in school, college or university then this alternative may be of your choice. Environmental education officer is typically involved in making people aware of environmental issues by promoting educational programs for school children, adults, community groups or visitors to visitors to site of special environmental interest.
- Sustainability consultant: One of the most lucrative green job option after studying environmental science/engineering is sustainability consultant. Many of business operations are now focusing more on going green i.e. socially and environmentally responsible business practices which demanding the skilled professional like sustainability consultant. Sustainability consultants provide a wide variety of services including development and implementation of overall strategic sustainability plans focused on low carbon footprint, reduction of resources use i.e. energy, water, oil, renewable energy, zero waste, green building design.
- Waste management officer: The responsibilities of waste management officer is primarily to organize and monitor the collection, transport, handling, disposal and often recycling of waste ensuring compliance with current legislation in transportation, handling and disposal facilities.
- Water quality expert: Water quality experts are acquired with the skills of collection, testing and analysis statistical data of water quality parameters and protecting all aspects of water quality through setting targets and standards in response to specific legislation based on scientific analysis.
- Environmental health safety manager: This career option is developing high demand in recent days. Environmental Health and Safety Managers are employed by private or public sector organizations where they are engaged in implementation of promoting safe working practices for employees to ensure that they comply with environmental legislation regarding safety in the workplace.
- Geographic information systems specialist: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a software-based method for collecting, managing, analyzing, modeling, and presenting geographic or spatial data which is used in a wide range of areas, including health, city government, transportation, urban planning and many more. Market demand of GIS specialist is noticeably high.
- Academician: Environmental Science is taught almost at every level from school to university. Therefore, the requirement of subject teacher is always there in demand.
- Research Scientist: After completion of Master’s degree in Environmental Science students can apply for Ph.D. fellowship in national and international research organizations. They can also join as research assistant/officer in various Government and private Laboratories.
Environmental science professionals will be in high demand due to growing focus on environment friendly practices in the public and private sectors. The realization that environment friendly practices are overall cost effective, efficient and promote good growth of the organization is the driving force for increase in the recruitment of skilled knowledgeable environmental science personnel. Employment of environmental scientists and specialists is projected to grow 11% from 2014 to 2024, faster than the average for all occupations according to The Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), UK.
Visited 1388 times, 1 Visit today