Optical fiber refers to the medium or waveguide and the technology linked with the transmission of information as light pulses along a glass or plastic element or fiber. Today more than 90 percent of the world’s long-distance traffic is passed over optical fiber cables as it provides high-performance data networking. Fiber optics technology are also commonly used in telecommunication services, like internet, television and telephones. Verizon and Google have explored fiber optics in their Verizon FIOS and Google Fiber services which is providing gigabit internet speeds to users. Another relatively unexplored area is optical sensing with optical fiber, with myriad opportunities spanning many fields including environmental detection, biomedical sensing, and structural monitoring.
Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation or LASER invented as an extension of the maser, or “Microwave Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.” Name indicates, the maser is an amplifier that was originally used for amplifying weak radio signals from space. Laser devices or technology use light to store, transfer, or print images and text. Contemporary world is enriched with various application of LASER in wide range like surgery and weaponry etc. The coherent radiation of the laser gives it special strength.
Photonics: A sub-discipline of Physics introduce the science of creating, sensing and monitoring photons or light particles
Photonics includes light emission, transmission, deflection, amplification and detection by optical components and instruments. Most significantly, whenever career opportunity on Photonics is point of interest, the other sub-component such as lasers and other light sources, fiber optics, electro-optical instrumentation, related hardware and electronics and sophisticated systems is very important. In brief, optical fiber technology and LASER education is sort of diverging your job opportunity in India, Europe and USA.
Institutions who offer knowledge!!
- In India, the International School of Photonics (Cochin University of Science and Technology) offers M.Tech, MPhil and PhD programs in Photonics.
- Many IITs, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology offer MTech degree in applied optic or Optical engineering, candidates pursuing this degree always follow up with Laser and Fiber optics special/elective paper.
- Apart from this many other universities like Calcutta University, Adamas University etc. and engineering colleges across the country offer optoelectronics and photonics or Applied optics as interdisciplinary subjects.
- The course structure of B.Sc. Physics, Adamas University always cover paper like Electromagnetic wave theory, Laser and Fiber Optics. Thus, a candidate having Bachelor’s degree with Physics and Mathematics can pursue M.Sc in Photonics or optoelectronics.
- With M.Sc in Physics or Photonics, one can pursue MTech/ MPhil/PhD in the field.
- All major universities of the world offer courses in Photonics and optoelectronics. The University of New South Wales, Institute of Physics (London) and University of Leeds are few renowned institutes abroad offering courses in Photonics and related field.
Interesting fact you wanted to know about photonics/Optical fiber technology and laser careers
- Recently, the medical aesthetics industryhas prolonged by leaps and bounds as more people mandate aesthetic services to enhance their looks as well as youth. Medical aesthetics institutions across the country offer training programs for individuals looking to become a cosmetic laser technician.
- Photonic or Laser job prospective industries include: Aerospace & Aviation division, Laboratory & University, Manufacturing equipment, Communications, Electronics/Semiconductor, Medical/Biotechnology, Military, Photonics, Chemical, Pharmaceuticals, Environment.
Picture Curtsey: Phtonics.com
Don’t be surprise! Surveys conducted during the past several years depicted that European workers in the photonics industry are generally satisfied with their jobs, enjoy prolonged vacations and earn a better-than-average living with their highly specialized, technical knowledge.
- Recent techno-savvy India demands scientists, engineers and technicians with relevant qualification and experience of photonics. Making a career in Photonics is stable and rewarding. Students of Photonics and Optoelectronics are fascinated as sales or service engineers in high-tech equipment industries; High scope as researcher or professional officers in universities, government and industry-research laboratories. There is opportunity as optical communications network support engineers and managers; and also, in defence research and development organizations.
- As broadband access expands to more communities and rural areas, the use and deployment of fiber optic networks continues to grow as people rely heavily on the availability of faster broadband speeds to stay connected and utilize the latest apps and services. As a result, there are demands of optical engineers/ optical fiber expert in different companies such as, Verizon, AT&T, Tata Communication, Comcast and Google Fibre etc. In India, Reliance Jio, Vodafone, Airtel, Sify Technologies, Siemens Limited, Himachal Futuristic Communications Limited, Cisco, Nokia etc.
Future industry will bring an enormous marketplace for the optical fiber & Laser accessory instruments. There will be increasing demand for more effective cleavers, low-loss splicers, multi-port couplers, intra-fiber devices, and mode-area transformers etc. Consequently, the associated companies will create job market. If economy of any country lagging behind, they should make strategy promptly on optical Fibre and Laser technology. Private sector, R & D sector should attentive more on this technology and application related to it. Thus, photonics technology could accelerate global technical progress delightfully.
Visited 1128 times, 2 Visits today