Student Contribution: Anjushree Saha, Final year student (M.Tech., Civil Engineering), Adamas University
Environmental Engineering is the application of science and engineering principles that provide a better environment, to give healthy water, air and land for human habitation and other living things, and to rehabilitate polluted areas. In addition, it focuses on finding appropriate solutions in the field of public health, such as arthropod-related diseases, and in enforcing laws that promote adequate sanitation in urban, rural, and recreational areas.
The Importance of Environmental Engineering to Society
The world today faces many environmental problems, ranging from local problems such as groundwater depletion to global problems such as climate change. These problems can only be solved when everyone cares about the environment. Therefore, everyone needs to be informed about the various causes, consequences and remedies of environmental problems. It is therefore necessary to preface their consideration with the statements of the broader characteristic divisions such as-
- It guides us on how our developmental and daily activities affect the environment and how we are affected by changes in environmental conditions.
- It guides us to create a pollution free environment (which includes clean air, water, land and food) by adopting various methods of prevention and control of pollution.
- It guides our natural resources such as water, forests, minerals and fossil fuels to be utilized in an efficient way, with maximum utility and minimum waste by adopting conservation and recycling strategies.
- Adopts the above three characteristics, namely, knowing one’s environmental impact, prevention and control of pollution, and efficiently utilizing resources efficiently in daily activities to lead the general public in an environmentally friendly way.
- It allows industries to operate in an environmentally friendly mode by adopting clean and efficient technology and installing pollution control systems.
Role of Environmental Engineering for Sustainable Development
So far as contribution of Environmental Engineering for protection of the environment is concerned, it can be said that role of environmental engineering is commendable. Some of the contributions of environmental engineering are as follows-
- To protect soil erosion for safeguard of forest.
- Using of Environmental Engineering technology degradation of bio social system can be prevented.
- Air pollution can be minimized up to a maximum extent by utilizing Environmental Engineering.
- Development of agriculture is necessary and the requirement can be fulfilled through Environmental Engineering.
- Environmental Engineering is utilized for preservation of social energy.
- Global crises on environment can be minimized by utilizing Environmental Engineering technology.
- Facilitate for sustainable development of the society.
- It helps for social and economical development.
Scope of the Environmental Engineering:
Three major areas of applicability of the Environmental Engineering are
- Management of natural resources,
- Conservation of ecosystem and biodiversity, and
- Prevention and control of pollution.
Major career options related to the subject can be described as follows:
Industries: Industries need to comply with a number of environmental regulations. Thus, environmental experts are needed to guide industries in adopting clean technology, pollution control, waste disposal and environmental audit management.
Consultancy: Environmental consultations are employed by governments, industries and NGOs to conduct a variety of laboratory-based analysis or field-based studies, often required in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and other compliance processes.
Research and Development: These opportunities in this area include studying different types of pollution and their many causes and effects. It is also includes development of clean and efficient technologies for future purpose. Scientists, researchers, and analysts are many of the common career profiles.
Academics: Environmental Engineering study is educated at almost every level of education, which is from school to university level. A large number of teachers or academicians are required to fulfill this need.
Green marketing: Skilled manpower is required to promote eco friendly products in local market. Environmental quality certifications like ISO-14000 are also being included in marketing strategy—this creates further career opportunities.
Green media: There is an urgent need for skilled manpower in print and electronic media to create environmental awareness. Some lot of magazines and newspapers regularly publish articles paper on environmental themes. For example, Down to Earth is a magazine published by the Center for Science and the Environment.
Green advocacy: Environmental lawyers are emerging as major players in ensuring proper enforcement of environmental regulations, laws, and programmers. Public Interest Litigation (PIL) empowers of ordinary people to fight against any anti-environment activity.
Government jobs: Many numbers of conventional and current common jobs are available in government bodies such as environmental ministry, pollution control boards, national parks, and biosphere reserves.
International agencies: Eligible human resources are required to implement environmental projects of various international organizations such as UNEP, IUCN, TSBF, and World Bank.
In a concluding remark, the career & job prospects of structural engineers are very bright in the coming future days. If you are focused and passionate, you can lead a bright career.
Visited 2146 times, 2 Visits today