Electrical Engineering is that branch of engineering that deals with three E’s electricity, electromagnetism and electronics components. Electrical engineers works with varieties of range of equipment ranging from tiny microchips to huge power station generators.
The interest in this branch mainly arises from different circuits that we deal with at our homes. Some people have the habit of opening various components to fix it or just out of curiosity. This is how the interest to become an Electrical Engineer arises in some budding mind.
Why choose to be an Electrical Engineer?
Electrical Engineers are blessing to our society. It is them who made our life so easy now. They improve the way we communicate and continue to enhance our electrical systems. When you have a deep understanding of how electricity works in your home, such as appliances, gadgets, etc., you will be able to apply your knowledge into designing, developing and giving solutions to problems, from small devices to large computers.
Technology is rapidly growing and with that, the role of electrical engineers becomes more important. They are the forefront of developing new technologies in different industries such as robotics, transportation, construction and healthcare. It is the forefront of future technologies.
Some of the most famous personalities in electrical engineering include Thomas Alva Edison for the invention of the electric bulb, Nikola Tesla for the invention for a simple induction motor.
Career Options for an Electrical Engineer
There are many options which an Electrical Engineer can choose as a career. Some of them are enlisted below:
- Electrical Engineer: It is the first option that comes to our mind. In this path you will have to evaluate electrical system working by applying the basic electrical knowledge.
- Energy Efficiency Engineer: They usually, design, develop, or evaluate energy-related projects or programs to reduce energy costs.
- Entrepreneur: You can become a Businessmen.
- Electrical Systems Engineer: Research, design, develop, test, or supervise the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment.
- University Professor: This work involves teaching and research.
- Circuit designer: Job in this position involves working out the physical form that an electronic circuit will take. Gives a circuit view of the electrical design of the construction of physical circuit.
- Design Engineer: A design engineer is a general term that covers multiple engineering disciplines including electrical, mechanical etc. Basically works on the designing end in any given discipline from the overview layout till the complete product.
- Drafting technician: Electrical engineers are into this for drafting the electrical side of any appliance.
- Distribution planning engineer: This job deals with the electrical planning and layout of the distribution of power to any given location.
- Hardware Engineer: Hardware engineers research, design, develop, and test electrical systems and components.
- Military engineer: The job description here involves the electrical communication part in the military services.
- Network Engineer: A network engineer, also known as network architect, designs and implements electrical networks.
- Project Engineer: A project engineer’s responsibilities include schedule preparation, pre-planning and resource forecasting for engineering and other technical activities relating to the project.
- Research Engineer: Research Engineers apply their expertise and knowledge to technical projects, finding innovative, cost-effective means to improve research, techniques, procedures, and/or products and technologies.
- Robotics Technologist: Robotic technologists use their knowledge of electrical, electronic, and mechanical systems to assist engineers in the development and production of automated equipment.
- Technical sales Engineer: They act as the sales team’s technical encyclopedia during the sale, representing the technical aspects of how the product solves specific customer problems. They perform technical presentations for the product.
- Technical writer: Like a Content writer or a developer, a technical writer focuses on generating and writing content with its primary focus on the technical aspects.
- Test Technician: Their primary duty is to ensure that products perform their proposed functions in a satisfactory manner. For complex products, such as automobiles or computers, test technicians may specialize in monitoring a specific part or set of components.
- Toy Designer: Designing electrical toys like a car or a robot or even a gun comes in the primary duties of this career option.
- Aircraft Performance Engineer: As an aircraft performance engineer, you would be responsible for applying advanced engineering principles to the design and development of aircraft, in order to ensure that they operate at optimal levels, as safely and efficiently as possible.
Following are some of the Government Organizations that recruit electrical graduates:
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation
- Power Grid
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Gas Authority of India Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- National Fertilizers Limited
- State Electricity Board
- Bharat Dynamics Limited
- Coal India Limited
- Indian Railways
- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
Following are some of the companies in private sector that hire various skilled electrical engineers:
- Siemens India
- General Electric
- KEC International
- Sterling & Wilson
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T)
- Crompton Greaves Limited
- Bajaj Electricals Ltd
- Jindal Steel & Power Ltd.
- Tata Power
- HBL Power Systems Limited
- Polycab India
- Bharat Bijlee
Being an electrical engineer opens a lot of opportunities for you, locally and internationally. Many companies outside the country are in need of electrical engineers, and most of them are open in hiring professionals from other countries. Some companies even require you to travel around, so you will be seeing the world while getting paid well. If you are passionate about working overseas, then this is the way to go.
Visited 1583 times, 1 Visit today