The age of the earth is around 4.6 billion years, whereas the age of behaviourally modern man is something around 50,000 years. But in such a minuscule span of time, we have successfully decimated several life support systems ‘sponsored’ by mother earth. We dream of a greener world simply because the greenery signifies photosynthesis, the only naturally occurring biochemical reaction producing bulk O2, without which aerobic life will not survive. Thus, it will not be an exaggeration if we say environment specialists, who can lead us to a greener, cleaner, less toxic, less polluted world, are essential for survival.
This is an undergraduate course (Duration: 3 years) in Environmental Science, offered by the School of Basic and Applied Sciences and the School of Engineering and Technology. Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary domain in the truest sense possible, incorporating almost all known conventional subjects. Primarily it bridges a gap between the subjects of physics, chemistry, biology and engineering and environmental and ecological problems faced by us today. The three-year undergraduate course is divided into six semesters. Candidates should have completed 10+2 or its equivalent exam in the Science stream. It is a tailor-made course for those students who
- are willing to specialise in subjects such as pollution management, disaster management, wildlife conservation, ecological restoration, green city management, eco-tourism, environmental journalism, at higher levels i.e. college (for eg in their PG level courses)
- have an intense desire to about anything and everything around us, who is inquisitive, have an analytical mind, infused with creativity and scientific thought process.
- want to get trained in a fashion so as to see the world with a different lens, where the air, water, the soil is cleaner, a proper balance between economy and ecology is struck, where the humans form an integral part of the biosphere.
- love the nature around us, the trees, the flowers, the orchids, the butterflies, the birds, wildlife, i.e. every other living being in the environment, and having an inherent urge for its conservation.
- have the ability to think and make decisions in an integrated and holistic way.
Eligibility: 10+2 from any recognised board with Science Background (PCM/PCB)
How is B.Sc. (Hons.) Environmental Science Course Beneficial?
- The UG course lays the foundation stones of how to deal with a multidisciplinary subject. How to have a grasp on each of the core subjects while not losing focus on the interdisciplinary theme.
- The students will be eligible for admission to PG level courses with specialisation in domains suitable to their capacities and interests.
- After successful completion of the course, the candidates can find employment in organisations dealing with environmental problems.
- The students can appear for various grad-level competitive become private teachers in schools and after having passed the Master’s degree plus NET exam they can become a permanent lecturer in colleges/universities.
- They can create awareness among the public about various environmental issues and their responsibility to keep the natural system in a condition that it sustains life.
- The students will be able to apply quantitative reasoning and/or mathematical skills/statistical models to field and laboratory data to address environmental problems.
- Use geospatial technologies (including global positioning systems, geographic information systems, and remote sensing) to address environmental problems.
- Demonstrate and create awareness of ecosystems in the context of coupled human-environmental interactions.
- Competently implement an individual or group scientific project, which may include literature review, experimental design, data collection, data analysis, and reporting.
#Education Plus at Adamas University:
- Outcome-based education system.
- Interdisciplinary approach to a multidisciplinary subject with transdisciplinary project-based learning.
- Unique and unparalleled UG programme, jointly by the School of Basic and Applied Sciences and the School of Engineering and Technology.
- A broad range of electives to choose from.
- Internship opportunities both in India and abroad.
- Industry-Institute integration through projects, visits and dissertations.
- Scholarships on merit means and sports excellence up to 100%.
- Major boost to sports, creativity & 24×7 vibrant campus with hostels
What are the learning outcomes?
- Master core concepts of ecological and physical sciences and their applications vis a vis local and global environmental issues.
- Master core concepts of economic, political, and social analysis as they pertain to the laying out of environmental policies and governance.
- Appreciate the ethical, cultural, anthropological, and historical context of environmental issues and the connection between humans and nature.
- Understand the holistic and transboundary character of environmental problems including plausible interactions across local to global scales.
- Understand interactions between social and environmental processes.
- Understand the network between citizens, consumers and environmental factors in an interconnected fashion.
- Demonstrate proficiency in quantitative methods, qualitative analysis, critical thinking, and written and oral communication.
- Master core concepts and methods from ecological and physical sciences and their application in environmental problem-solving.
- Experience the collection of field samples, visit and assess the status of terrestrial and aquatic sites, and industry visits.
Students will be encouraged and facilitated to take up compulsory summer internships either in the relevant industry or reputed research organizations. Through internships, students can harness the skills, knowledge and theoretical practice that they learn in the classroom to get a first-hand experience of working in the real world. Internship and project work gives a student an extra edge in their career which subsequently enhance their job scope.
Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
After obtaining a graduate degree in Environmental Science students can apply for post-graduation studies offered by various universities in India and abroad. Being a multidisciplinary subject with interdisciplinary applications, environmental biologists, environmental engineers, environmental modellers and environmental journalists, almost all possible domains where students can venture out are in vogue. Typical employers include chemical industries, mines, textile and dyeing industry, food processing units, pollution mitigating agencies, urban planning companies, to name a few. They can work in both government and private organizations. After acquiring higher degrees, one can also opt to teach jobs in colleges or universities. The following avenues will also open in the horizon of an Environmental Science (Hons) graduate:
Environment Journalism, Conservation Hydrologist, Environmental Photographer, Waste Management Professional, Disaster Modeler, Wildlife Film-maker, Carbon Trading Specialist.
Here at Adamas University, we address the most important problem plaguing Indian academics, employability. Students ‘partake’ whatever is imparted to them, they become knowledgeable, but finally, when it comes to ‘be there, do it, something which lacks becomes visible. We ensure holistic development so that students not only get a good education but also can be employable. With so many schools in a single campus, Adamas University is the chosen destination for students who want to make a career in a multidisciplinary subject like Environmental Science. Going beyond the curriculum becomes easy when a student going for a diversified career have access to relevant schools. Each student is mentored by a faculty member. Blended learning (physical plus digital) augmented with several field/industry visits, internships, dissertations, Meet the Leaders programme, will definitely bring the best out of each and every student.
A subject not bound by any state or country or continent. The earth needs young bright enthusiastic students like you. The magnitude of the anthropogenic damage that needs to be undone, and the importance of conservation and preservation of natural assets are so important, for our bare survival, the requirement of environmentalists will never wane away. Students from Adamas University have received academic exposure to institutes and universities of global and national repute in various disciplines. Adamas University is among the very few universities offering courses on Environmental Science, where each of the disciplines of this transdisciplinary course will be addressed by the experts. This intense nurturing will be unique so that pursuing career opportunities abroad shall be facilitated.
For further details and enquiry, you can visit the official website of, Adamas University (https://science.adamasuniversity.ac.in/environmental-science).
Visited 969 times, 1 Visit today