“Nature is written in mathematical language.” – Galileo Galilei, Italian astronomer
After completing the higher secondary or equivalent examination, the students need to decide their future career plans. Many students with strong mathematics knowledge cannot decide whether to choose mathematics as their undergraduate study. This is simply because of many misconceptions. Some of the common misconceptions are — mathematics is boring, it is difficult, it does not have a direct link to industry, so fewer job opportunities. In this blog, we explore a B.Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics program and its career prospects which will break the above misconceptions.
About the program:
The B.Sc. (Hons.) in Mathematics is one of the two 3-year undergraduate degree programs offered by the Department of Mathematics at Adamas University. The program follows an outcome-based education (OBE) system with UGC approved CBCS curriculum. Various colleges and universities offer similar undergraduate programs in mathematics. However, a number of aspects of the program offered by Adamas University make it unique.
The curriculum includes all the major mathematics courses, such as Algebra, Analysis, Calculus, Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, and Geometry etc. as the core courses. In addition, the curriculum includes multiple elective courses, which gives freedom to the students to choose specific subjects of their interests. It also includes a number of state-of-the-art computer programming languages (C, MATLAB, and R) to enhance computer skills. The program also offered a few value-added courses including Design Thinking, Interdisciplinary Projects and few others. The students have the opportunities to gain external exposure through summer internships at various reputed academic institutes and industries. The curriculum includes a project course in the final semester where the students solve research-based practical problems. This helps students develop their research and analysis skills, essential for higher studies and industry jobs. The university provides special training on communication and soft skill development to make the students job-ready. In the final year, the students have the opportunity to appear in campus placement where various companies recruit fresh graduate students. The companies including Hexaware, Empaxis Data Management, TCS, Cognizant, Wipro, Infosys, GoAskNow, Acadecraft, etc. considered Mathematics graduate students for recruitment in the previous years.
To know more about this B.Sc. program, please visit the website https://science.adamasuniversity.ac.in/mathematics/
Eligibility and Admission:
The minimum eligibility for this program is overall 50% marks in the higher secondary from a recognized board or its equivalent exam with Physic, Chemistry, and Mathematics as essential subjects. In addition, the university conducts entrance tests called AUAT (Adamas University Admission Test) as part of the admission process. An eligible candidate who wants to take admission to this program has to fill an online admission form available on the website of the university (www.adamasuniversity.ac.in). The final admission of a candidate is processed after the selection of the candidate.
Studying Mathematics opens a wide range of opportunities in different fields. After completing this undergraduate program, students can opt for higher studies, jobs in academic sectors, civil services, as well as in industries.
- The students having a desire for higher studies can further pursue M.Sc. in Mathematics/Statistics, Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D, B.Tech, MCA, MBA, B.Ed programs. To get admission in M.Sc. or Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D programs in reputed institutes, one needs to qualify the competitive exams like JAM (for IITs, NITs, IISc etc.), TIFR Graduate School Admission test (GS), etc. Our curriculum is designed to cover the syllabi of all these competitive exams.
- The B.Sc. degree is a gateway for employment in any government or private academic institutes, such as schools, colleges, universities and other institutes. The graduates can start private coaching or teach in various existing coaching institutes.
- In the present era, online teaching-learning platforms are in high demand. Having a bachelor degree, one can work as a content developer/presenter in these online teaching platforms.
- Competitive exams for most government jobs require a strong base of computing and logical reasoning. So, mathematics graduates have great advantages. In addition, a bachelor degree is essential to appear in several exams for employment in government as well as public administrations.
- Mathematics graduates have great opportunities in government and private banking sectors, finance, investment, insurance, and risk management. For the recruitments, public sector banks take the IBPS exam each year while SBI and RBI have their own exams. These exams are mostly based on mathematics and reasonings which will be easier to crack for the mathematics graduate students.
In conclusion, the present B.Sc. (Hons.) in Mathematics program is designed to accommodate a blended curriculum and multiple value-added courses to make the program interesting, understandable, and compatible with the needs of the present trend in academics and the job market.
Visited 650 times, 1 Visit today